Sunday, February 14, 2010

World, Meet Melton Hayes

Melton Hayes is only eighteen years old, and has spent the last few years of his life working in the kitchen of a small local pub. Melton's always been an unremarkable kid, mostly unnoticed by the salt-miners that frequent the pub at the end of the work day, but he cooks good food and always comes in on time. His only worthwhile education has been on-the-job, and while he's not particularly strong he's developed the charm and cunning needed to navigate the volatile social climate of the slums of Crymar, the Jewel of the Eight Cities.
 It was only recently that an intoxicated veteran general took notice of Melton's more subtle peculiarities - his handiness with a cutting knife, his intuition with flavor, and his keen understanding of differences in taste. Melton didn't quite know it himself yet, but what Riurik and his band of adventurers-for-hire recognized then was that the boy was gifted, touched by forces of nature unknown to most men, and was destined for greatness.

By the way, I'm playing Dungeons and Dragons for the first time. And the inspiration and lessons in game design that this has granted me have sent me back to Thumbstruck. Hopefully this means frequent, worthwhile posts. I hope you'll join me!

Now, it's time to go discover more about my mysterious connection to the arcane world of the Feywild.

2 comments:

  1. Umm ... I just read this ... and I was legit just talking about how I want to play D&D but I never have before ... and how I do not think I would ever find people by the time I graduate to explain it to me and play ... but yea ... how was it?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's been a lot of fun! We've played three times so far. I refuse to ever perform spells unless I can explain how my character is able to use them in that context. This frustrates my roommates.

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts go here.